Friday, June 17, 2011

John Rainer, Jr. Passed Away

John Rainer, Jr., who was the early inspiration in the Native American flute to one of our own flute circle members, has died. The obituary of his death, June 14, 2011, is quoted on the forums of the Flute Portal.

At the recent June meeting of the Finger Lakes Flute Circle, Ken told the story of how he heard John Rainer, Jr.'s music playing on audio cassette tape in the open air in Taos, New Mexico many years ago. He was drawn to the source, and met the man himself and learned of the Native American flute. John Rainer, Jr. and his music had a profound effect on Ken, starting him on his own journey with the Native American flute. John Rainer, Jr., through his flutes and his music, and through Ken to me, has so had an effect on my own life.

I was saddened to learn this morning through the Flute Portal of John Rainer, Jr.'s passing. I went to his web site, www.johnrainerjr.com, and his music, originally on audio cassette, may now be purchased on Compact Disc. In honor of his memory, in appreciation of his music, and in support of his family, I placed an order for his music and offered my condolences.

John Rainer, Jr. and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment