Tuesday, March 17, 2015

2015 Native American Flute Festivals (No Potomac)

From Rochester, New York, there are few festivals dedicated to Native American flute that are within a reasonable day's drive. To the south, in the Washington, DC area, there's the Potomac Native American Flute Festival (PNAFF) and to the west, in Dayton, OH, the SunWatch Native Flute Festival. When I first began to play Native American flute, the first flute festival I attended was Potomac in 2010, and for me it was an ideal blend of educational workshops, evening concerts, private lessons from outstanding performers and teachers, and a vendor room filled with beautiful, tempting flutes. This is a well-organized and worthwhile regional Native American flute festival experience from my perspective, and I have attended every year since, except the organizers took a break in 2012, and it seem like 2015 they are taking a break again. The beginning of this year has blown by so quickly it was only when a friend asked me last month about when PNAFF was scheduled that I realized that it wasn't happening. I'm very sad to miss a great festival, but I'm at peace knowing the hard-working organizers can get a respite from a very big project, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

SunWatch is 14-16 August 2015. Other Native American flute festivals this year that I know of are listed below. I've only attended SunWatch, but I hear from my Native American flute community friends that of the East Coast festivals, Native Rhythms is a great one.

2015 Native American Flute Festivals

Musical Echoes Native American Flute Festival, Fort Walton Beach, FL, 24-26 April 2015
SunWatch Native Flute Festival, Dayton, OH, 14-16 August 2015
Flute Quest Native American Flute Festival, Des Moines, WA, 14-16 August 2015
Medicine Park Flute Festival & Art Walk, Medicine Park, OK, 19-20 September 2015
Sweetgrass Flute & Nature Festival, Hiawatha, IA, 25-27 September 2015
Native Rhythms Festival, Melbourne, FL, 12-15 November 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment